To understand minerals, we need to review some basic chemistry. What's the atomic model? What's a molecule, alloy, and compound? Then this unit talks about what is a mineral and the differences between minerals and crystals. What are some physical properties of minerals and crystals? How do you identify minerals? How do minerals form?
Listen to the audios or read the chapter in the book.
Watch the videos.
Do this worksheet
Labs and group activities
- Discuss mineral formation and mineral properties.
- Lab - Bring in some minerals to look at under a microscope
- Lab - Calculate the specific gravity of a mineral
- Lab - Crystal growing experiment
More videos and audios
- Watch video Sources and Uses of Minerals
- Read or Listen to Identification of Minerals
- Read or Listen to Formation of Minerals
- Do Identification and Formation of minerals worksheet
- Mineral Identification